Friday, October 3, 2014

Core Commitments


Last week, I wrote about what makes independent schools unique. This week I want to talk about one way independent school students are unique.

I love when I get to see Natalie (our Admissions Director) give a tour, not only because it’s an opportunity to meet new families, but also because our St. Paul’s students shine. We do not tell the students what to say, but often after a tour is done new families remark on our students’ manners, maturity, and how well spoken they are. These comments reinforce what I discovered the first day of school - we have wonderful students!

The staff at St. Paul’s works hard to help all of our students grow - not only academically but in all of life’s skill sets. This year we adopted “core commitments.” These commitments are: I will Engage, I will Reflect, I will Create, I will Care.

Our head of school, Jamie Estill, recently said, “We'll strive all year to make those commitments realities and not just pretty words.”

So how are we making our commitments a reality at the Lower School? By guiding our students on tasks that foster engagement, encourage creativity and reflection, and by modeling and urging caring for themselves and others.

I will Create


I will Reflect

I will Engage



I will Care



We want our visitors to see that our students are unique, but we also want the community to know they are. We hope these core commitments will be our guide in this endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment