Friday, September 18, 2015

Successful Citizens


Thank you for coming to back to school night on Monday. In my opening speech I mentioned that this year we would not only continue to help your child grow academically, but we are also focusing on teaching them the qualities of successful citizenship.

The way we help students become successful citizens is by teaching them the tools it takes to be a good communicator, solving conflicts by rationally discussing a problem and explaining your viewpoint, and teaching them how to flourish in any social situation. After all, as the banner by LEPS says, “learners today, leaders tomorrow.”

Our teachers have been working hard to further develop the skills it takes to make these advanced concepts easy for elementary aged students to understand. This summer, we had trainers from The Institute for Social and Emotional Learning spend a day training our teachers how to share these concepts with students.

This week our teachers each took a tool from the SEL (social emotional learning) tool box and did a skit at our back to school assembly. This launch allowed students to get an overview of all the concepts that will be taught in detail by their classroom teachers throughout the year. The tools we'll be teaching are:

  • Use an I-message when you have a conflict (e.g. I feel sad when I don’t get a turn with the ball and I wish that we could all take turns). If that doesn’t work go to a teacher for help.
  • Try and come to an agreement where both people feel good (Win-Win).
  • Try and make others feel good by filling their buckets with put-ups (compliments).
  • Recognize your emotional thermometer and use cool down strategies.
  • Recognize that all have different levels of comfort and boundary bubbles.

Today a second grade student told me that her neighbor (who does not go to St. Paul’s) had a conflict with her and so she just ran home. The second grader then told me, “I had to teach her about not just running away and giving an I-message when you are upset.” I was so proud, it has made me smile for the rest of the day! There is a successful citizen in the making!

Ms. Hammack, and Mrs. Galvin show students how to create a win-win. 

Ms. McDonnell and Mrs. Owens teach students how to cool off when they get angry



No comments:

Post a Comment