Thursday, October 20, 2016

Feelings, Rats and Leaves Oh My!

My resume continues to grow with each week and this week was no exception. Every day I have a chance to try something new to expand my professional skills. Not all of these experiences happen in the classroom, in fact this week some valuable lessons were learned in the gym, parking lot and lunch tables.

On Monday I spent much of the afternoon talking to students working through misunderstandings, hurt feelings and reinforcing the importance of listening to teachers and friends. Some of these conversations were easy reminders about using and listening to “I messages” and how a simple apology makes everyone feel better. Simple right? The harder talks surround feelings. Let's be honest, even adults struggle to deal with their own feelings let alone someone else’s. Try sitting at a table with 4 students where one of them feels like the others don’t like them. Letting them talk about it and reach an understanding was all they needed. All I had to do was facilitate the discussion to make sure everyone was heard. I started the week on a roll.

Tuesday must have been a full moon or maybe I was the target of a practical joke. As soon as I entered the building Sue Ann informed me that a parent complained about a dead rat in the parking lot and she couldn’t get a hold of Mr. Estill. So out to the parking lot I went donning a pair of rubber gloves and a garbage bag. The deceased was resting under a car, so I had to fish it out with a stick. Gross! I know, but someone had to do it. I left the body bag knotted by the main door. On a lighter note, Suzanne England almost opened it thinking it was decoration for the Fall Festival. Sue Ann stopped her in time, but the look on her face would have been priceless.
Not being one to shy away from hard work, on Wednesday I spent almost all of my time raking the leaves in the parking lot. All of those trees sure are spectacular in the Spring, but in the Fall not so much. In the Fall they become a sludgy slippery mess. So there I was dressed like I was out on work release and it took me over 2 hours to pile most of them up. When I left for the day I felt really good about all I had accomplished...until I came back on Thursday to see another blanket of leaves. **sigh**
Thursday was also the “Great American Shake Out” where every school practices their earthquake drills. After the drill we used the gym as our safe spot. To learn more about this event go to www.shakeout.org. The kids had some really good questions. You should ask them about it. Your students did a fabulous job.
I am almost afraid to see what Friday will bring. Wish me luck.

-Anna Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment