Thursday, October 13, 2016

Funistrator

The best part of my job at the Lower School is that it is temporary. Before you start writing a scathing email let me explain. Everyone has THAT friend or family member. You know the one who buys your 3-year old a drum set, thinks that candy makes a reasonable choice for dinner, chocolate milk is just as healthy as regular milk and bedtimes are overrated and children will fall asleep on their own when they are tired (or keel over after the sugar high wears off). My family has two. We call them the “Fun Uncles”. The reason they can be fun all the time is because they get to leave when a responsible adult has to step in, when for example the homemade nunchucks you made for your 4-year old nephew left a gash in his sister’s head requiring five stitches to close. I am the “Funistrator”. I administer the fun.

As I have mentioned before, Mrs. Bucsko and her staff have the school running so smoothly I don’t have to worry about the part of administrative work associated with running a school (ok maybe a little bit). On Tuesday we had a fire drill and students and staff evacuated the building in a blistering 1 minute 28 seconds. This was by far the fastest time they have logged. I should also mention that the drill was executed in complete silence with no chaos. I was amazed and proud. The students were curious about their time as compared to the last fire drill. One thing I should probably admit about myself is that I am a bit competitive (maybe more than a bit). After learning about our epic time I had to share the good news with students. In true “Funistrator” fashion I went from room to room interrupting learning to congratulate each class. Was the fire drill time more important than the landmarks on the Washington State map Mrs. Stokes’ class were reviewing or stopping free-play time in the Kindergarten classes? No, but seeing their excitement about the dramatic improvement was awesome...and fun.

I enjoy visiting classes and trying to connect with as many students as I can while I am here. For me it’s fun. Your children are funny, smart, kind, caring, inquisitive, polite and fabulous. However, much like a weekend spent with the “Fun Uncles” your kids will be glad when Mrs. Bucsko returns. My kids beg for fruits and veggies when they get home from one of these weekend benders. By the end of November the students will be craving broccoli. I may have just compared Mrs. Bucsko to broccoli, but I mean it in the nicest way.

Sincerely,
Anna Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment