Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Joys of Being at the Lower School

I spend very little time sitting in Mrs. Bucsko’s office and my Fitbit shows just how much I am running around. I try to hang out out at recess every day making sure everyone is being a good friend and making safe choices. When accidents happen I am pleased to see our students make amends by apologizing and helping a friend up when necessary. The teachers do a wonderful job supervising without hovering to allow the children to work on resilience, empathy and forgiveness. It is important to practice these key life skills with their peers. Of course staff steps in to help negotiate an accord when peace can’t be worked out by the students, but for the most part the children handle these interactions on their own.

Classroom visitations are by far the best part of my days. This week Mrs. Galvin and Mrs. Hammock’s classes shared samples of their writing. They are working on descriptive writing and their essays were aimed at getting the reader to guess what was being described. I was literally sitting in the hot seat at the front of the room as the students read their work and I was to make guesses. It was a lot of fun and I was impressed with their word choices and ability to create a mental picture for the reader. I wrote my own essay last night and will put them on the hot seat today!

Last Friday both Kindergarten classes made applesauce and I was the taste tester for each…rough duty for sure. Each class used different apples and techniques for mashing them. There was no way to choose the best one. They were both excellent. I shared last week that Mrs. Owens’ class read bits of their writing journals to me. Well this week I was the subject of their journal write. They each wrote me letters asking questions, making suggestions and sharing about themselves. Most of them wanted to see pictures of my family and pets. Some would like to have a crazy hat or hair day and almost all of them would like me to bring them candy. I took a short video introducing them to my family and pets, wrote a letter answering their other questions, but told them they’d have to earn the candy.

As you can probably see I am really enjoying my time with your amazing children. I get to leave my job everyday with a smile on my face…not everyone can say that.

Sincerely,
Anna Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment